[thelist] Trouble with multimedia (From a Troubleshooting perspective)

Shaun M. Anderson ShaunAnderson at smarttech.com
Mon Jul 9 12:14:24 CDT 2001

We have several embedded QuickTime & asf files on our site.  We embedded
them because (we feel that) they look cleaner.

Now tech support is saying that they are getting calls about them, and
because they are embedded they can't get as much information from the
embedded movies as they can if they weren't embedded.

Does this make any sense?  I was under the impression that, with QuickTime
at least, when you click on a link that goes to a QuickTime file that it was
always loaded in the browser.  Am I wrong?

With the ASF's, they are correct in that you can get more info if you don't
embed, but is it really that valuable?  Any web-tech support people here who
could enlighten me?

Also, is there any way to get at the more complete information about the
embedded movies through the browser?  That would solve my problems
completely.  I couldn't find any info about it when I looked for it.

Thanks,
Shaun