[thelist] issue with templates in dreamweaver

Chris Williams cwilliams at compumodules.com
Mon Jul 9 13:53:02 CDT 2001

You need to set your links to relative, rather than absolute..  To fix the
proplem you are describing, you can do a find and replace... For example,
1.  open dreamweaver
2. load a page with links you want to change
3.  Go to edit -> replace
4.  a dialog box will open, and, for example, type in file://templates/ in
the find text box.
5.  Use the tab key and in the 'replace with' box, type in the path you
want, for example, ../ (note: ONLY type in what you want to replace, or get
rid of.)
6.  Dreamweaver will find all of the files with this information and you can
replace them one at a time, or all at once.This will replace all your old
messed up links with the correct path.
7.  At this point, I would go to edit -> define sites, and select relative
for the path to define you site.  This way, future links will not have the
absolute path, and you can move your site folder to a different drive and it
will still point to the correct images, files, etc. If you do this before
hand....you will get a rats nest of bazarre links.
8.  Make sure your files are in the correct level, ie, DONT create a folder
inside a folder, then copy and past the page into the new folder and expect
it to work.

An absolute path will give you a complete path, which includes the physical
location.