[thelist] using activeX to load .exe files from a web page

Kevin Raleigh krr at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jul 10 01:03:12 CDT 2001

I spent considerable time trying to embed my small executable image shows.
I thought I had everything covered! However I have one problem.
That is to say, I never tested outside of my HTML editor.
I use Homesite 4.5 for writting my code. Homesite is setup to use IE 5 for
use as an internal editor, With this in mind when I tested my
"slideShow.exe" files I didn't think I needed to test them in my main
browser window.

Well live and learn. For some reason the shows work when I test them in the
Homesite internal browser environment, But they won't run from the External
browser. "The code you gave me "catch - try" worked great. Again only in the
internal browser.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do here? I removed the error control
part of the script to see what it would say and it reports that it can't
find the file.

Bizarre -- The internal browser works but the standard browser does not.
I created a small mock up for test purposes. Can you take a look.
I need to warn you thou, The file size is 290kb's.

Included in this zip file are two executables that run a slide show.
I used the plugin from ACDSee called "FotoAngelo" to create these slide
shows. Nothing harmful is in there. Of course asking anyone to trust an
unknown person and run an .executable file is asking allot. But this is the
same activeX issue that you have helped me with from the beginning.

The only difference is I used 6-7 "10 x 10" images of various backgrounds so
that I could bring the file size down from 30 mb's to 250kb's.
http://home.netcom.com/~krr/activeXtest/  activeXtest.zip

 any insight would be greatly appreciated...
I solve this one and I can start burning the CD's!

Thank You
Kevin