[thelist] Size doesn't matter?

Peter Van Dijck peter at vardus.com
Tue Jul 10 04:48:21 CDT 2001

>And where an hour's delay of the launch costs on average $8,000,
>you're not going to win friends with an insistance on holding it up
>to do usability/IA work unless you're *really* strong on the
>net business benefit.

<rant>Usability / IA SAVES time! It saves time! It saves time!</rant>
Usability and IA is just proper planning. Proper planning saves time. We
use it and it works.

It took me a while to get things going here (there was no planning or IA
when I joined), but now we wouldn't do a project without proper planning.
The project managers love it, since it means they get proper documentation
and less shit. The programmers love it because it means they get proper
specs and less shit. The sales guys love it because they use it in the sell
("if you want to do a project without proper planning feel free to use some
of the other agencies..." and then they tell some famous planning horror
stories)

So if you can work IA into the planning process you're set!
As for usability: I'm pretty sure Amazon doesn't release any new feature
without extensive testing...
Peter
http://liga1.com building multiple language/culture websites
http://cms-watch.com content management systems beta