[thelist] Installing PHP??

Tobyn Baugher trb at cartoonviolence.net
Tue Jul 10 04:52:45 CDT 2001

On 7/9/2001 10:23 AM -0400 McAtee, Malcolm wrote:

> Was PHP installed? How do I "activate" it? Everything I am reading
> indicates that I need to install PHP and Apache at the same time ...
> Do I need to reinstall Apache??

Well, no, I wouldn't imagine so. Most distro web servers come with DSO
enabled for just this reason, so you can add and remove modules without
having to recompile the server. /path/to/httpd -l will tell you if DSO
is enabled (look for 'mod_so.c' under 'Compiled-in modules').

You could probably just find a PHP RPM (Try rpmfind.net) and install
that.

If not, get the source (php.net), follow the quick instructions in the
INSTALL file for a DSO install and you should be ready to go. If you go
this route, be sure to read the list of supported configuration
directives available on the PHP website. You usually want more than
just the default capabilities. I myself pass configure 25 options, but
I'm a little extreme. --with-mysql is a popular one. --with-apxs is
necessary for a DSO install.

best of luck :).

Toby