[thelist] Flash Substitution & Detection

Niklaus Haldimann runciter at rosa.com
Tue Jul 10 06:13:00 CDT 2001

Hi list

A client wants the navigation of his site to be in Flash. I think I'm
only going to do it, if there is a reliable way to substitute the Flash
part with plain ole HTML if a user doesn't have the plugin. So, is
there? I was thinking about a JS solution, like so (pseudo code):

<script>
if (flash detected) document.write('Flash Navigation!');
else document.write('Bah. HTML Navigation.');
</script>
<noscript>
Bah. HTML Navigation
</noscript>

Users who turned off JS will not see the Flash navigation by any means,
but I could live with that. Other drawbacks? Other solutions?

BTW, having two separate versions of the site, Flash and non-Flash, is
not an option.

Follow up question: What's the best way to detect Flash client-side? I
hear it can be done sorta reliable with JS and/or VBScript. But the
scripts I find at Macromedia ("Flash Deployment Kit") and other places
on the web are too bloated for my taste and I don't know if they're any
good. There *must* be some small neat script, right?

These are basic queston, I konw. Be nice anyway, I haven't really worked
with Flash before ...

N.

--
Niklaus Haldimann, Frontend Engineer