[thelist] fixing urls in dreamweaver templates

Damien Cola damien.cola at synaptique.co.uk
Tue Jul 10 08:56:59 CDT 2001

> In case this is "What are ways to get fouled with paths to dependent files
> in template masters?" (or something like that ;-), then try searching the
> Macromedia Dreamweaver Technotes with term "template path"...
> this calls up
> the top articles on the subject.

Hi John,

What I'd like is to keep the URL "myfile.cgi" whereever I create my new page
from the template.
In case I put "myfile.cgi" in the template, then each page I create will
have the url pointing to the folder of my template: "Templates/myfile.cgi"
or "../Templates/myfile.cgi" or "../../Templates/myfile.cgi"

Moreover, dreamweaver's templates update all urls, except if we define them
as editable area (even the ACTION of a form must be define as an editable
area if you don't want its URL to be updated)
But if you define URLs as editable areas then you loose the possibility of
changing those urls in your created pages by updating the template..
So it's not good, it seems you can't get the best of both worlds..
Or can you?

> (In case the core question is instead closer to "What could cause having a
> 'file://' address in my links?" then it's usually better to give
> the file a
> location in your site before linking documents to it. Lots of us start new
> documents in the Site Window for this exact reason.)

That was my mistake in my first email, it doesn't write 'file://'

> I may have pulled the wrong "how?" or "what?" type of question about
> Dreamweaver from the descriptions of that project, though... please give a
> holler if I should have found a different question in there, thanks.

Thank you, have a nice day.