[thelist] Another SQL problem - JET this time

Norman Beresford n.beresford at anansi.co.uk
Wed Jul 11 05:24:21 CDT 2001

Hi all

This really isn't my week for simple SQL problems :(

This time I'm using a simple select count(fieldname) as expression from
table query to obtain the number of people in a table.  All fine and dandy,
and it's just peachy running in Access.  However as soon as I try to run it
through ASP I get an error.  I know that there are differences between ADO
and DAO, but I thought they only applied to wildcard characters.  To make
matters worse my SQL statement is exactly the same as any number of online
examples.  If anyone could shed some light I would be most gratefull.

Norman

The SQL

SELECT Count(contestantTable.contestantEmail) AS ContestantEmailCount FROM
contestantTable;

The error (line 11 is the line where the SQL is executed)

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Syntax error in FROM clause.

/partyco/admin/contestant_count.asp, line 11