[thelist] Help with layers in NN 4.6

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 11 06:56:21 CDT 2001

> From: "Keith" <cache at dowebs.com>
>
> > ALWAYS make sure to check with your client if it's okay to
> > mistreat/ignore a certain percentage of possible paying customers.
> > I think the number they'd give you is.....ummmmm....zero!
>
> Not necessarily Sandy.  In fact, I've never even had an e-commerce
> client look at it that way. They are interested in maximizing sales,
> period. That means CLOSING as many visitors as you can. And that does
> not mean designing for all "possible paying customers",  it means
> designing for "closing sales".

some of that is a function of how you present it, as well...

if you tell the client that a particular 'feature' on a site may make it
unusable for x% of their audience, that's one thing...  if you present
it as a feature that will only affect x% of web users in general, it
could have a whole different meaning to the client... if you tell the
client you'll charge more for it (which, btw, is almost never
necessary if you code well), then you'll absolutely get them to say
they aren't interested...

manipulation of the numbers aside, maximising sales is a function
of getting as many people to the store as possible... it's a numbers
game, and the more numbers you get, the better your sales...  if
you're designing for 'closing sales' (which, by the way, you'll have
to tell me how that's any different than designing for all users), then
you probably need to design for all the users you can...

would you tell a grocery store that they need keep their aisles set
up for 'closing sales' when you know it will make the aisles too
narrow for wheelchairs?  or too high for short people?  how is it
different otherwise?

> If you really believe that politically correct design is in your
> client's best interest, put your money where your mouth is, take a
> percentage instead of charging for your work. Once you do you'll
> discover there is a world of difference between designing for "all
> possible paying customers" and designing for "closing sales", a
> difference you can take to the bank.

first off, it's not politically correct design... it's all about maximizing
possible customers and hopefully creating some loyalty --
especially in that segment that developers like you so happily shun
everywhere else... i'll take those customers if you won't, their
money is just as green...

second, i *wish* i could get a per transaction payment from my e-
commerce clients (in place of a project fee, yes)... if i did, i'd be
sending this from something other than an old machine in a little
third-floor apartment...