[thelist] Old Browsers old Software, cut bait and move on.

Brian King BKing at Impact-Technologies.com
Wed Jul 11 07:35:08 CDT 2001

I get paid by my customers.  When I tell them that the glitz they want on
their site will not with browser version X's, (which by the way is Netscape
versions mainly), they say "Who cares" for the most part.
Please people, it's a statement of fact, not an attempt to 'Bash" someone or
something.  I appreciate the honest feedback.  But the truth of the matter
is that incompatibilities are mainly with Netscape versions and a line has
to be drawn on every project between functionality and compatibility.
I don't know of too many features that you can code into your site that will
work with Netscape that do not work with IE.  (any hints here?).  I do
distain people who run old versions of IE browsers too!  Should we expect
that I and/or my client is going to completely 'dumb down' their site just
for them.  UPGRADE the darn browser!  Whether it's Netscape or IE, UPGRADE
the darn thing.  At least get within a couple of versions of latest.
Doesn't it ever frustrate you when you build a document, (text, ss, etc) and
pass it along and them next person can't read it because they are using a 5
year old version of software?   It's the same thing here.  It will probably
be years before I can use some of the neat new tools that I can code in with
IE6 browsers simply because the audience is so small.  Most customers aren't
going to pay for duel functionality coding on their sites either.  Simply
costs too much.

BTW, I am happy to hear your responses.  I am not a close minded person and
have changed my mind on several occasions. N I am also not afraid to raise a
subject for debate when I can't see the other side's view point.  Enlighten
me, if you can.

Brian W. King