[thelist] Old Browsers old Software, cut bait and move on.

Matthew Brooks m at pleonasm.com
Wed Jul 11 08:59:24 CDT 2001

"Brian King" <BKing at Impact-Technologies.com> wrote (heavily snipped):

>one example, Java Scriptinging?  How many different sets of java code am I
>expected to write to cover all versions of browsers.

Um ... isn't Java code supposed to be platform-independent? Do you mean
JavaScript?

>>wow, this is really a WaSP message your touting, which has been
>
>Where did race and religion come into this?

I'm not sure if that was a joke or not ... WaSP is the Web Standards
Project. See http://webstandards.org/

>>- public terminals (schools, libraries)...
>
>Maybe we should be keeping a closer watch what our tax dollars are paying
for.

Or lack of tax dollars. When I worked in a state university, we were so low
on resources that we simply did not have the time to go round every station
upgrading browsers. There were far more pressing things to do, such as
making sure the computers weren't being stolen, and that they actually
worked at all.

>>- slow connections (30MB on my 33.6?  nope)...
>
>Maybe you should invest the $15 it takes to get a 56K modem at least.

Even with a 56K, in some countries you still have to pay by the minute for
dialup, e.g. England and France. A browser upgrade that takes an hour to
download, say, would cost the user several dollars. Of course this is going
to stop some people from downloading it, when their existing browser
displays 99% of sites just fine.

Matt