[thelist] Old Browsers old Software, cut bait and move on.

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Wed Jul 11 13:34:59 CDT 2001

Brian King wrote on 11/7/01 2:57 pm

> Are you
>suggesting that I am working myself out of a market place.

The "I need glitz for its own sake" market is shrinking very,
very rapidly since the dot-com bust. Now sensible clients are
right on the "What's the business benefit?" mark.

>I tend to think
>it is the other way around, I am part of a rapidly growing market place.

I don't see your evidence here.

>Maybe if those 'locked down' businesses see that
>their IT dept is locking them out of being able to leverage certain
>technologies, they will can some of those stupid geeks they have and get
>some real geeks.

No. They're more likely to say "Why are we pleasing the vanity
of our web designers?" Business is in the business of making money.
And a big part of that is managing risk - locked down usually relates
to reducing risk, which is A Good Thing for most businesses.

>The PC and web world has evolved quickly only because of
>people 'pushing' it.  It has not been 'pulled' along by business, but
>'pushed' by people who want the technology and slowly adopted by business
>because of that.  There have been a number of articles lately that
>acknowledge that PC gaming has been the largest major segment of the PC
>market that 'pushes' the technology.

In consumer hardware, yes. Not in business hardware. The only
thing driving business upgrades of hardware is upgrades of core
productivity tools which need more memory/speed. But there
is substantial business resistance to MS upgrades now - I know
of plenty of businesses (and some *very* large ones) who are
happy with their NT4/Office97 platform and don't see the benefit
of upgrades.

>I am sorry but I WANT to be on the leading edge,
>not the lagging.  I want to work with the latest technology, not have to
>code for the oldest.

So why would I hire you? How would you add value to my proposition?
What's the evidence that not coding for older technology helps my
bottom line, rather than supporting your work-aversion?

Cheers
Martin

email: martin at easyweb.co.uk             PGP ID: 0xA835CCCB
       martin at members.evolt.org      snailmail: 30 Shandon Place
  tel: +44 (0)774 063 9985                      Edinburgh,
  url: http://www.easyweb.co.uk                 Scotland