[thelist] Smart DB Development (request)

Lea leaevolt at viking.org.au
Thu Jul 12 04:50:56 CDT 2001

Thursday, July 12, 2001, 7:33:48 AM, Tyme wrote:

> I should have added acceptance of an apostrophes, for those such names.
> (Suppose accent marks as well. ??)
> Example: D'Allesandro

Vague memory:
a case in Perth (.au) here a couple of years ago.
Someone wanted to call their son... umm... something with an accent.
The registry of Births etc wouldnt allow it
Immediate reason: the computer system wouldnt take it
Final reason: the national language is English - English does not
include accents.

Interesting idea.
Still not sure whether I agree or disagree...

Lea
--
Lea Levy
Information Architect