[thelist] Smart DB Development (request)

Tyme nopun at bellsouth.net
Thu Jul 12 12:18:58 CDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: deke <web at master.gen.in.us>
To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2001 1:34 AM
Subject: RE: [thelist] Smart DB Development (request)

> On 11 Jul 2001, at 20:00, Warrick Wilson (Avignon Reg'd posted a message
which said:

> > I must admit, I've never run across a system where FirstName fields were
> > allowed to be NULL...  Interesting thought, as I'm designing a database
> > right now that will eventually require name information.
>
> Be sure to design your system so that *last* name can be NULL,
> or Cher, Sting, and Roseanne will patronize your competitors.

TYME} *sigh*  I take it you did not read the original post.  So, I will
reiterate, in part, in this reply for others who are reading snippets.

TYME}  I made the suggestion that db developers allow a null field (or a
hyphen to indicate n/a)  for the _last name_ field, as names are usually
sorted by last name.  With instruction for we single-name folks to use the
Last Name field for our single-name.

TYME} By the way, "Cher", "Sting", "Roseanne", and "Madonna" are stage
names, not necessarily their legal names.  Cher and Roseanne might have
changed their legal names to single name, but "Sting" and "Madonna" are not
these people's legal names.  (From what I understand.)