[thelist] Which linux distribution?

Andrew Forsberg andrew at thepander.co.nz
Fri Jul 13 17:39:03 CDT 2001

>     Very good question. I know there is a group of about 20 characters
>working to 'port' Mac OS X to the PC, however everyone at Apple is working
>against that goal. For good reason. It goes strongly against the idea of the
>Macintosh.

>  >> http://www.apple.com/macosx/
>>>
>>>  : )
>>
>>  I know you're joking, but . . . where can I get a copy of Mac OS X that I
>  > can install on my Pentium III?

How about installing Darwin and XFree86 on your P3? It's the guts of
OS X, and you don't have to put up with all those silly animations.
:) I think it's pretty neat they've released the source code to the
core of their (commercial) OS. Hopefully this will mean better driver
support.

http://www.opensource.apple.com/projects/darwin/1.3/release.html
http://www.xfree86.org/4.1.0/

XFree86 have darwin binaries for PPC, but you shouldn't have much
trouble compiling an x86 darwin XFree86.

HTH
Andrew
--
Andrew Forsberg