[thelist] Swish... > Critiques

Bill Haenel bill at webmarketingworx.com
Sat Jul 14 18:53:06 CDT 2001

> I dont think that yours or your clients opinions should be the
> final say on
> whether or not your website 'works'. is it selling?

Generally speaking, these days I work for non-profit organizations. But your
point is well taken, and non-profs have needs and marketing objectives to.
(<whiny battle cry> non-profs are people too! </whiny battle cry>)

> has your client seen
> marked increase in revenue or customer satisfaction/sales since
> creating the
> website? do you know which aspects of your site are working? which aren't?
> shouldn't the end result and end user be the deciding factor on whether or
> not the site is effective?

As I said, even my non-profs have an objective, and when I commented that my
work must meet the agreed upon specs/requirements, this was more or less
assuming that their objectives included things like revenue, customer/donor
satisfaction, etc. If their objective is to get an on-line biz card, that's
what they get. If their objective is to inform more of the public of their
organizational mission and accomplishments, then that's what they get. If
they want mo' money, that's what they get.

Key Phrase: "Previously agreed upon objectives" - They must be there in any
work relationship whether it's full-time employee or contractor/client.
Hence the importance of such an agreement.

I work with honest people, thank god, who actually tell me what they want.

BH