[thelist] AOl proxy cache

Warden, Matt mwarden at mattwarden.com
Tue Jul 17 12:06:56 CDT 2001

On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, iibiz wrote:

>> It's a bunch of hooey.
>>

>I'm not so sure about that......
>
>When I have a client using AOL and tell them to look at the changes/updates
>I made for them, sometimes they call back saying "nothing is different"!
>
>At this point I tell them to key in:
>www.yourcompany.com/index.html?123 (or any combination after the question
>mark)
>instead of
>www.yourcompany.com (which of course defaults to index.html)

Yeah, the addition of a querystring tells most proxy servers that the file
is dynamically-generated and therefore shouldn't be cached. This isn't the
case with all proxy servers, tho (see Seb's post).

>And *poof* the changes are there!  I'm told that the "?" tells the ISP it's
>a dynamically generated page, and must, therefore, go get it from the
>server.

Yeah. It's the proxy server, though.

But querystrings have nothing to do with whether the file is created by
PHP or ASP of if it's a static page. It's just that many times
querystrings are used in dinamically-generated pages.

Like I said, there's no way for a proxy server (or your browser, for that
matter) to know a page is delivered by PHP or ASP or whatever.

Thanks,

--
mattwarden
mattwarden.com