[thelist] <P> vs. <BR><BR>

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Wed Jul 18 00:23:03 CDT 2001

Daniel S. O'Shea wrote on 18/7/01 4:24 am

>Also, I import a lot of statistical info into static html tables (As well as
>using sql queries in databases for other data). The static tables are
>converted easiest and cleanest in wordpad. However, I get a lot of <P>'s in
>the html. So I set a stylesheet class up with just P. Of course, the font,
>layout, etc., is fantastic in all those tables. Ooops...but in all other
>places I want to use the <P>, I will get that style also if I call the
>external sheet. Problem is, in those other pages, I don't want that style.
>So I use the <br><br>.

Hey Dan

Did you know that you can use pseudo-classes?

Here's what I do on my site. I want to have 2 <p> styles,
one main one plus one for related links in my sidebar
(in the latter case, the content is right aligned).

Here are the 2 css classes:

p     {
	    margin-left: 10px;
	    padding-left: 15px;
	    margin-right: 15px;
	    padding-right: 5px;
        }

p.related {
	    text-align : right;
	    color: #000000;
	    font-family : "Trebuchet MS",Verdana, Geneva, Arial, sans-serif;
	    font-size: 11pt;
	    line-height: 120%;
	    margin-bottom: 10px;
        }

And in the HTML, the main content is all
while related info is:
		This page shows the most recent pics taken with
		our digital camera. The idea is that the pics will
		reach the site in the minimum possible time and
		with the minimum possible effort.

Cheers
Martin

email: martin at easyweb.co.uk             PGP ID: 0xA835CCCB
       martin at members.evolt.org      snailmail: 30 Shandon Place
  tel: +44 (0)774 063 9985                      Edinburgh,
  url: http://www.easyweb.co.uk                 Scotland