[thelist] Web Host NT Setup Help

Michael Goddard michael at tdh-marketing.com
Wed Jul 18 07:36:01 CDT 2001

I have never set up a web server from ground up (worked on servers when they
have already been set up for web hosting etc..) What I am attempting to do
is have a domain point to a client's newly set up NT Web Server.  I have
registered the domain using Network Solutions and now have the IP addresses
for the server from the client.

When I attempt to tell Network Solutions that I wish to have the domain
point to the server using the IP address, I get an error stating that I need
to use Alphanumeric etc..

What am I doing wrong?  I have searched Network Solutions site for
information and the only thing that I can find or come up with that I think
is the problem is registering the host machine with them etc..?  Is this the
solution?  Or does the client have to configure a DNS name for the server
instead of an IP address?  How does one do this?  Meaning, how does one come
up with a DNS from an IP address? or is there something I am missing?

I appreciate any feedback in this matter.

Michael