[thelist] Web Server Worm Infects 12,000 Web Servers

Seth Bienek seth at sethbienek.com
Wed Jul 18 20:05:02 CDT 2001

---------------
Worm has Servers Seeing Red
http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5094345,00.html

"Almost 12,000 Web servers have been infected by a new Internet worm that takes advantage of a security flaw in Microsoft software to deface sites, security experts said Wednesday. The worm could also help attackers identify infected computers and gain control of them."

"...[security experts] found that almost 11,900 servers had been infected as of 7 a.m. PDT Wednesday."
---------------

Virus Technical Information here:
http://www.eeye.com/html/Research/Advisories/AL20010717.html

<tip type="security">
Please, PLEASE make sure your IIS webserver(s) are running the latest patches. The patch for this particular (.ida) exploit can be found here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS01-033.asp

You can subscribe to Microsoft's security bulletin to be automagically notified of new security patches here:
mailto:microsoft_security-subscribe-request at announce.microsoft.com

It's also a good idea to subscribe to the The CERT Advisory Mailing List as well:
mailto:majordomo at cert.org?body=subscribe%20cert-advisory

These are both very low-traffic lists; I get one or two emails from both lists combined per week.
</tip>

Fins Up,

Seth

"Each of us has a spark of life inside us, and our highest endeavor ought to be to set off that spark in one another."  -Kenny Ausubel

Seth Bienek
Digitaris Technologies, Inc.
tel (972) 690-4131, ext. 103
fax (972) 690-0617