[thelist] [OT] Web Server Worm Infects 12,000 Web Servers

Christine Korza evolt at tipsbyemail.com
Thu Jul 19 00:54:01 CDT 2001

My web hosting provider fell prey to this attack... fortunately they only
got a hold of our email server (the site and DB run on FreeBSD). We were hit
between 6:15-6:30pm Pacific time on Friday, and due to the swift action of
our network admin, we had the 'defacement' replaced within 45 minutes of my
discovering the problem and alerting them. I think my heart stopped beating
for 2 whole minutes when I saw the message, thinking our whole site had been
'taken'. In fact, our network admin was one of the two mentioned in the eEye
article (http://www.eeye.com/html/Research/Advisories/AL20010717.html). Just
reiterates my point that we have the best hosting provider in the world.
(www.superwebhost.com - Christine from protonic.com referred ya!) :)

<tip type="javascript">
Use javascript warnings to warn a user of the ramifications of clicking on a
link. Example: A delete button.

<.a href="message.delete.php?id=$id" onClick="if(confirm('OK to delete this
message?')) {return true;} return false;">

</tip>