[thelist] site crit requested

martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com
Thu Jul 19 02:03:22 CDT 2001

Memo from Martin P Burns of PricewaterhouseCoopers

-------------------- Start of message text --------------------

Please respond to thelist at lists.evolt.org

Sent by:  thelist-admin at lists.evolt.org

To:   thelist at lists.evolt.org
cc:

Subject:  RE: [thelist] site crit requested

Couple of things on this:

>:6) Please do not color your links red.  Red is associated with
>:"Visited" and may actually discourage interaction.

Not sure about this - I think that the blue/purple default colours
haven't been used as a standard for a long time, and users won't
make this link. YMMV of course, and real user testing will always
give the answer for your user groups.

However, if there isn't a standard link colour, then you've got a better
chance of normal colour theory being applicable. This suggests that
warm colours stand forward and attract the eye, whereas cool colours
recede.

Thus warm colours (reds, oranges) are good unvisited link colours, while
cool colours (blues, greens) might be better for visited.

Of course, the *really* important thing is that they're different both from
each
other and the default text colour. And your client's branding will probably
influence the decision.

:Green is
>:an odd choice as well.  Red & Green color combos are generally
:not positive.

:---------------------
:don't differentiate by colour if u have colour blind people surfing the
:site, then why not just leave the links one color in the 1st place.
:Probably u can use css - underline for one set of links and probably
:overline and underline for probably the ones that open in a new window.

:other than that the site looks great.
:---------------------
 Have to agree with both of these - Red/Green is the most common colour
blindness
combination.

Cheers
Martin

The principal place of business of PricewaterhouseCoopers and its associate
partnerships is 1 Embankment Place, London WC2N 6NN where lists of the
partners' names are available for inspection. All partners in the associate
partnerships are authorised to conduct business as agents of, and all
contracts for services to clients are with, PricewaterhouseCoopers. The UK
firm of PricewaterhouseCoopers is authorised by the Institute of Chartered
Accountants in England and Wales to carry on investment business.
PricewaterhouseCoopers is a member of the world-wide
PricewaterhouseCoopers organisation.
computer.