[thelist] Seeking a Better FTP Client

Hershel Robinson hershelsr at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 19 08:15:11 CDT 2001

I am working with a certain Host company which has their FTP server set to
timeout after 300 seconds if I don't upload or download a file.  My FTP
client sends a NOOP every few seconds, but their server doesn't acknowledge
that as sufficient reason to maintain the connection.

I asked them about changing the timeout and they responded:

> About the timeout, we can change it, but we are not going to.
> By leaving FTP open for a long period of time, could allow possible
> hackers to gain access to the system, which is something no one wants.

I have two questions:

1 Is there an FTP client for Windows 2000 which could upload a small file
for me every minute to maintain my control connection?  It's rather
disconcerting and a waste of time to have to reconnect every 5 minutes.

2 Can someone explain to me what this host's concern is about?  All the
other hosts with which I have worked accepted the NOOP and I can stay
connected for hours at a time.

Thanks,
Hershel