[thelist] Seeking a Better FTP Client

Steve Cook steve.cook at evitbe.com
Thu Jul 19 08:57:42 CDT 2001

Just another quick thought - searching around I realised another very good
reason for having an FTp timeout (as mentioned in this FAQ page
http://www.etree.org/faq_ftpd.html). FTP servers are generally configured
with a max number of total connections. If someone's sitting connected the
whole time, then on a popular site that's one less connection available for
other users.

In another document I found this:
"It is recommended to set these parameters [login idle and session idle
times] so that system resources will not be allocated to idle sessions. "

I guess that's not exactly a security concern, but it does make sense right?

.steve