[thelist] Seeking a Better FTP Client

Peter Kaulback pkaulbak at idirect.ca
Thu Jul 19 09:09:42 CDT 2001

In the wee hour of 04:21 PM 7/19/01 +0200, Hershel Robinson bequeathed such
tales as these:
>I am working with a certain Host company which has their FTP server set to
>timeout after 300 seconds if I don't upload or download a file.  My FTP
>client sends a NOOP every few seconds, but their server doesn't acknowledge
>that as sufficient reason to maintain the connection.
>
>I asked them about changing the timeout and they responded:
>
> > About the timeout, we can change it, but we are not going to.
> > By leaving FTP open for a long period of time, could allow possible
> > hackers to gain access to the system, which is something no one wants.

This sounds very responsible behaviour on the part of your host and is
currently acceptable.  Ipswitch has added SSL to it's WS-FTP pro, I'm not
affiliated with them in any manner, so as to enable secure transfers, but
take a look at their offering
http://www.ipswitch.com/Products/WS_FTP/index.html
Peter Kaulback