[thelist] Site check and CSS Rollover (NS6) problem

James Aylard webmaster at equilon-mrc.com
Thu Jul 19 11:14:22 CDT 2001

David,

> If anyone has the time, could they please take a look at
> http://www.bhpbilliton.com and give me some feedback on the site?

    Overall, I think the site looks quite nice.

> One problem I have is that the right nav does not look and function
properly
> in Netscape 6. I suspect that this is because I am using CSS and
Javascript
> for the rollovers and that I am not referencing the object properly.

    Viewing the site in Mozilla 0.9.2, it seems to work fine. The main
problem that I see is that your a:hover color (#363636) is such a dark gray
that it is very nearly black (#000000) -- which is the color of your links
in every state but hover. The hover color does work, but you can hardly
notice it. Is that the problem to which you are referring?
    Regarding your link coloration, I strongly question this approach -- to
make your links appear identical, whether visited or unvisited. This breaks
a critical usability rule. And making the hover color so similar also makes
it useless.
    Also, FYI, when I clicked on "BHP Steel Connect" in the BHP Billiton
Sites select list, I got an HTML fragment instead of a web page -- perhaps
an include gone astray? Although since the domain name is different, I
realize that this page may well be outside of your control.

hth,
James Aylard