[thelist] CF smoke and mirrors

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Thu Jul 19 16:45:04 CDT 2001

> I always understood that there was no "order" to columns in the
> database, and that to do anything based off the way they are
> ordered in your visual tool (Access, SQL Enterprise Manager, etc)
> was flawed. Any of you database gurus know if this is true, or
> maybe just old school thinking?

grievously flawed

way to go, chris

<tip>
always give the same column used in two tables the same name

example: foreign key referencing a primary key

  create table foo (fooid int, foodata varchar(21)
       , primary key (fooid) );

poor foreign key naming scheme --

  create table bar (barid int, bardata varchar(21)
       , barfooid int references foo
       , primary key (barid) );

better --

  create table bar (barid int, bardata varchar(21)
       , fooid int references foo
       , primary key (barid) );

yes, whenever you need to use the common column name in a "table list"
join, you need to qualify it using the table name, i.e. foo.fooid or
bar.fooid --

   select foodata, bardata
     from foo, bar
    where foo.fooid = bar.fooid

however, it is now easier to write the join using standard syntax

   select foodata, bardata
     from foo join bar using fooid

or even

   select foodata, bardata