[thelist] best PHP Book anybody?

Jackson Miller anything at jaxn.org
Fri Jul 20 09:36:04 CDT 2001

All irony aside.  I am actually using Jay's book right now to pull an
intranet database out of my a$$!  The book is serving me well.  However if
you are new to programming I don't roccommend the book because there are a
good amount of typos, but it is nothing somone familiar with code will not
catch (aka missing semi colon here missing quotes there, etc)

Peace,
       jackson

on 7/19/01 9:14 PM, john corry at john at neoncowboy.com wrote:

> My personal favorite one is 'MySQL/PHP Database Applications' by Jay
> Greenspan. It assumes a basic familiarity with the language (variables,
> types, functions, etc) but really helped me from the ground up to gain an
> understanding of not only how to write code, but how to solve common
> problems that arise in database apps. I progressed quickly with this book
> and highly reccomend it.

I think someone of John's obvious intelligence and taste ....

Sorry, couldn't resist. A tip is in order, maybe two.

Actually, I'm amazed by the general quality of a lot of the PHP books. I
don't love WROX books, in general, but I think Professinal PHP Programming
is pretty good. Julie Meloni is a friend, and I think her book is a really
nice intro. I've heard only the best things about the Thompson and Welling
book.

And there are others.

<tip author="Jay Greenspan" type="PHP">

If you haven't yet downloaded the manual, do it. It's only a couple of megs,
and it's great to have the  most recent function reference available
locally.

</tip>

<tip author="Jay Greenspan" type="Documentation">

Get your docs into the active voice. You'd be absolutely amazed by how many
seemingly incomprehensible sentences can be fixed by assigning the action of
the verb to someone or something.

Bad:

The string is parsed by the function, removing any HTML tags.

Good:

The function parses the string, removing any HTML tags.

When you start dealing with compound subjects and verbs the former
construction will get you into all kinds of trouble.

</tip>