[thelist] The XP Deal?

Daniel S. O'Shea doshea at surfree.com
Sun Jul 22 11:21:24 CDT 2001

> And did those include tips?  I know the last time I brought up
> Windows XP, I included a tip.  I sent this post a long time before it
appeared (my mail
> server seems to be having some troubles, so things are taking a while to
get
> there, it seems).  I don't reply to posts I think are off-topic just to
> remind them to give a tip unless I have something to add in reply (and I
> included a tip).

I believe ALL of the OS's discussions ARE on-topic. I would hope dearly that
one of the first things I learned if I was a newbie in Web Development on
this list is that Windows NT and 2000 gives one much greater features in web
development than Windows 95 or 98, or the trash they call ME. How can anyone
say this is 'off-topic'??

>> Yea...let me dial right into MS, I'm sure that'll work when a
>> client needs me to do something right away and we have to get the
operating
>> system up! mmmmmhhmmmm.
>
> It adds about 2 minutes to the installation process.  If you have
> to install the O/S before doing something for you client, those 2 minutes
won't make
> much difference overall. (I'm not sure about the time the phone activation
> will take, admittedly).

You're not sure about phone activation? My point exactly. Having had to call
MS tech-support in the past, I've waited 3-4 hours at times, sometimes never
getting through, same for my host administrators at times. Well how about
this- Do you really believe once XP is the standard OS, multiple calls
worldwide will be able to get through?? Will MS REALLY have enough on staff
to answer those calls?? I've read the XP article and seen how LONG that
number is, if we type it in 10-20 times and e-v-e-r-s-o-s-l-o-w-ly and it
still doesn't work how long will it be until we get through again?? You're
not sure about the time the phone activation will take?? THIS IS A DANGEROUS
SITUATION FOR WEB DEVELOPERS!

> Don't act like this is the first time someone brought up the lack of tips
for off-topic posts.  > Perhaps not as abruptly (I was going for humor,
which apparently didn't come through very
> well), but they do.

The assumption is that I belive this is 'off-topic'. I firmly believe it IS
NOT 'off-topic' because of the very nature of how it will affect web
developers should the Windows XP OS become 'standard' in its current form.

> Windows XP relates to web development when discussing things like IIS and
> IE6.  Nowhere have this topic even TOUCHED web-related aspects of Windows
> XP.  (Another time I brought up Windows XP and IE6, it was regarding
> font-sizes, which IS web-related).

I disagree. Whenever I see a post with the topic WIN 95, or WIN 98 or WIN ME
or WIN NT or WIN2000, I take a keen look at those posts. Just the very
nature of each of those systems affects the web developer.

> If you want to discuss this more, I'd suggest taking it off-list.

If this isn't a web developing concern now, shouted about now and dealt with
now...it will become a big one later if MS gets their way. I believe
strongly it belongs on-list for those who haven't heard of what's coming
down the info highway. A truck downhill, out of control.

> (I prefer off-list, because I have trouble coming up with new tips . . .)

I prefer on-list, because I refuse to bury my head in the sand, and don't
believe a tip is necessary.

> > <tip>Open your eyes</tip>
> Real nice tip.  My eyes are wide open, thank you.  I've even gone through
> the activation process with Windows XP RC1. Have you?

Hmmm, when you activated how many calls were being made into MS concerning
activation? 3 maybe 4 people? Quick question. Ever try to go to the MS site
and download a new browser version when just released? They post a nice
little disclaimer stating something to the effect, "Come back in a week or
so." Something tells me your activation is a far 'cry' from the tens of
thousands that will be calling in at one time at a later date. Can it really
be true that you sincerely believe just because you made a successful call
in at this early date that you'd consider this a fair test of what's
coming???

...and let me reiterate some of the other topics with XP you barely touched
on, control and money.

As this XP subject is very sensitive to me as I believe it purely crosses
the line of control, (At least in the past, WE signed up to let MS look at
our system if we wanted Windows updates, now with XP, they'll do it no
matter what!)

Why is it now we have to buy multiple XP OS's for each unit?? Do I have to
go out and buy two identical Faith Hill CD's because I'd be listening to one
on my portable CD player and one on my home entertainment system?? I have a
desktop at home, a notebook on the road. Why do I have to pay twice??????
Let alone the control issue.

I've seen numerous posts by web developers here concerning price and cost.
Now we've got an XP system developers will be required to buy 2, 3 or 4 of
just for their own personal systems. That in itself should also be a real
issue.

My friend, maybe you think this is all well and good, but this is a
dangerous road to be going down. Soon, every software program we purchase
for our developing will consider the same thing if MS gets away with it.
THINK ABOUT THAT ONE. If MS is successful with this, other companies will do
likewise. Every program you have on your desktop, you'll be paying twice for
to have on that notebook of yours, or on that other desktop you yourself
just use for a backup.

Then that big corporate Giant will know everything about every system you
own.

Shudder to think the ramifications of all of this.

I provide a tip only because my prior sarcastic tip was uncalled for.

<TIP>Go to www.whodoistart.com/webreference.htm, I've made a reference page
on some key sites that were mentioned going back 3-4 months. Mind you, I've
only included those that were of interest to me. Many of you may find some
of the references useful. Maybe the EVOLT administrators could create an
area for something like this??</TIP>