[thelist] Frames, Javascript and IE 5.5 SOLUTION!

.jeff jeff at members.evolt.org
Mon Jul 23 13:22:14 CDT 2001

katherine,

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: From: Katherine Spice
:
: Yep, absolutely true, for one level of framing
: - however, I was trying to change the location
: of a one frame from it's "sibling" frame, but
: these were nested 2 frames deep (I told you this
: was nasty :-). It seems that in this situation
: parent.framename won't work with IE 5.5, but
: parent.frames[1] will - (relative identity?).
:
: Happily this method of identifying frames is
: Javascript 1.0 [...]
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

as is referencing the frame by name.  that tells me there's something still
amiss with your script.

for one thing, i'm noticing the use of the with() statement.  that's likely
to cause you some wierd errors -- part of the reason its use is highly
discouraged.

an error related to using the frame name tells me the browser is having
difficulty figuring out what you're referencing because there are probably
more than one use of that name as a variable, another object, etc.  however,
before this can be determined there are lots of other javascript problems
you're going to need to fix first.

good luck,

.jeff

http://evolt.org/