Fw: [thelist] best PHP Book anybody?

john corry john at neoncowboy.com
Mon Jul 23 17:11:21 CDT 2001

>The CD, I'd probably leave in the case for a
> collector's item (you can get more up to date copies of MySQL and PHP on
> the web),

NO WAY!!!
That CD is full of well written, useful, operable, re-usable code prepared
by Jay Greenspan himself! I can't count how many times I've been moments
away from posting a question to this list, only to ansewer my own question
by reading some of Jay's code.

Many of the free script's available on the web I find so convoluted and
overly functional that trying to read them to learn how they work is just
beyond my abilities. But the functions on that CD are simple, well
documented and easy to read.

Not to mention the entire text of the book in PDF format allows me to take
the book along when I travel, and thats' when I have the free time to screw
artound with database apps, so it's perfect.

<tip type = "windows">
I hate Notepad...can't read the text 'cuz its all black on white and crammed
together. I love the way Homesite color codes HTML, and prefer viewing
source with it.

If you use IE 5/Windows
My Computer > Tools > Folder Options > File Types
Find HTM/HTML files

Select 'edit' and edit the action to reflect the editor of your choice. It
didn't waork for me until I put the trailing %1 in quotes, like
"c:\path\to\homesite" "%1"

</tip>

thanks,
John Corry