[thelist] PGP encrypt then decrypt HTML email?

Joe Crawford jcrawford at avencom.com
Mon Jul 23 17:30:47 CDT 2001

Mark Gregor wrote:
> We have a script that is successfully encrypting an email message then
> sending this message out in plain text format to be decrypted by a
> recipient.  For a variety of reasons, we would like to change this email
> to display the text in HTML format, but the problem is that  when the
> HTML email is decrypted by the recipient, it simply shows all of the
> HTML code rather than actually rendering the HTML.  The recipient is
> using a new version of PGP and an HTML compliant mail reader.
>
> Along with other standard headers, we're writing the following to encode
> the email as HTML:

> Content-type:text/html
>
> Are we missing anything?
>
> Any thoughts are appreciated.

Hrm. This is a good question. I know that PGP runs as a kind of plug-in
inside the mail client. I would think that when you invoke PGP, it is
responsible for the decryption, and the display. If that is the case you
would rely on PGP itself to be able to render html. I don't think it
hands the display back to the mail client.

I hope I'm wrong about that though.

Wish I could be more helpful.

	- Joe <http://artlung.com/>
--
...................  Joe Crawford \\ Web Design & Development
.....  mailto:jcrawford at avencom.com \\ http://www.avencom.com