[thelist] decisions in buy... was > On the road designs

Andrew Forsberg andrew at thepander.co.nz
Mon Jul 23 23:23:10 CDT 2001

I don't know about Ron's reasons -- but mine for preferring IBM is
that they have a wealth of information on their site, detailing
specs, replacement parts, upgrade options, etc etc. If you're at all
interested in running non-MS development platforms this sort of
information is vital. No. 1 on my list of things to look for is Intel
10/100 built-in ethernet. It seems almost all non-MS x86 OSes support
these boards, and if you're testing on a local lan, or just need to
go from office to office and stay networked without PCMCIA cards,
it's really important.

Unfortunately the NZ IBM sales team and/or communications with trade
partners, is completely useless, so my latest purchase was a Toshiba
Satellite Pro 4600 for this reason. The details are boring.
Fortunately Toshiba laptops are at least as good in terms of
equipment quality, unfortunately Toshiba's online resources are
rather thin on the ground. I was lucky that all the parts on this
machine are entirely standard, so you can whip out the hdd, and
replace it with the latest, higher spec and size, ibm drive with no
hitches, and the ethernet works as well.

So, the question is not necessarily 'what's the fastest laptop?' for
web dev, it can as easily be 'what has the most boring and standard
parts?'

<tip type="DNS / BIND">
Dan's Apache 'alias' tip works great, but it can be more educational
to learn how to create a working subdomain system for your local
development testing. Most unix OSes come with some version of BIND,
so if you haven't already, think about going out and buying a copy of
O'Reilly's 'DNS and BIND.' It's a roller-coaster ride through all
that intriguing nslookup, in-addr.arpa, and DNS fun fun fun.

In half an hour I'd learnt all I needed to create a name server on
said Toshiba laptop, and subdomains for all the current projects I'm
working on. It's great to be able to walk into a client's office,
bung your laptop into the lan, give them an IP address to point their
computers to temporarily for an additional nameserver, and showcase
the current status of their site without changing default apache web
doc directories, or having to use aliases.

Aliases are ok, but it's nicer to have a development site with its
own namespace (so stuff like "/index.php" works in development and
deployment, for example).
</tip>

--
Andrew Forsberg