[thelist] PARANOIA! (was V I R U S)

Arlen.P.Walker at jci.com Arlen.P.Walker at jci.com
Tue Jul 24 09:29:17 CDT 2001

>While *most* viruses select a new address each time they are relayed (and
>some select every address they find) it is possible that Daniel O Shea's
>(initials? - aarghhh! ;) six 'attacks' have all come from a single
instance
>of the virus which, in all its automated glory, has failed to understand
>Darwin and chosen to repeatedly concentrate all its efforts on him alone.

I should add to this that multiple sendings to the same target address is
(or should be by now) a known behavior of this particular virus, as I
myself have also received multiple sendings from the same address. However,
having lived through Melissa and the Love Bug (alas, the IS shop here
worships Holy Redmond and St Ballmer of the Billy Gates) I wasn't at all
tempted to believe this was an intentional act. It happens; there are far
two many other, more reasonable, explanations for me to attribute it ot
malignance. Is it possible that Evil Intentions were at work? Of course.
It's also possible that all the molecules in my bottle for Fresca will, for
one brief instant, be moving in the same direction, and the bottle will
shift its position on the table all by itself. I don't waste my time
counting on either eventuality.

I'm still trying to get one SirCam correspondent to clean up his system (I
just got another from him this morning). It's life in the Microsoft Era.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224

Arlen.P.Walker at JCI.Com