[thelist] Exchange 2000 catchall mailbox

Bill Haenel bill at webmarketingworx.com
Wed Jul 25 08:53:14 CDT 2001

If it's any help, I went through this process about a year ago with my
previous employer trying to accomplish the same thing. People were
constantly sending messages to our domain with misspelled or fictitious
names.

I contacted numerous sources for a solution, and finally determined that
there was no solution. You may be able to write a script or something, but
we never went there.

We ended up putting every misspelling we could think of on everyone's
mailbox. Not efficient, but it solved a majority of the NDR problems. Also,
it was very necessary for us to immediately respond to anyone who would have
gotten a NDR message, to let them know the sky had not fallen after all. We
had Exchange set to notify the Admin by Email when an NDR was generated.

I'd love to have an answer to this myself so I can go back to my previous
employer with it. Maybe that way I could score some points and get some
contract work out of them!

BH