[thelist] My Site

Tobyn Baugher trb at cartoonviolence.net
Thu Jul 26 04:46:40 CDT 2001

So for what has quite literally turned into years now I've worked with
different tools and different web technologies creating various
iterations of a "homepage".

I did this because it was a simple way to begin, and since it was
strictly a tool of self-expression nobody would get angry with me if,
as so many things in my life, I got tired of it and threw it away one
day.

That's exactly what happened. It's been through goodness knows dozens
of designs and it's been programmed in straight HTML, XML/XSL, PHP and
JSP (I stay away from languages without a free implementation as much
as possible. Mainly cos I'm poor :P) using everything from notepad to
vi to HomeSite to Dreamweaver Ultradev.

I can't even draw a straight line but I taught myself gobs about Adobe
Photoshop, Macromedia Freehand and my newest favorite
productivity-enhancer Macromedia Fireworks. At least in Photoshop I
have the BrainBench cert to prove it :P (check lewp at lewp.org).

It's pretty much come to the point now where I want/need to start a
career. I'd love to remain a kid for the rest of my days, but things
like money don't seem to care.

In the midst of my typical childish pursuits such as wanting to work at
id Software (John? Are you out there?) I've learned that I *really*
like webdesign, web development, system/network administration,
database architecture, and all other things associated with putting a
site online. So much so that I'd consider doing them for the
foreseeable future an extremely attractive proposition.

I guess what I'm asking is for everyone to take a look at my little
page  (it's in my sig) and answer me the following question: Is there
room in the industry for me? I'm long on desire, quick to learn, have a
bookshelf in my head (and two in my house), but am short on practical
business experience. I can configure the network (routing and
switching, I'm a CCNA :\), build the box, install the OS, setup the
server software, hack out the design, write the code and even put some
decent English up for content, but I've never been paid to do it before.

I'm working on a CS degree currently, but I *really* don't think I can
handle finishing at this point on a personal level. Is that a complete
showstopper?

Is it good to keep my skillset as diverse as I have, or should I
concentrate on one area likely to give me decent returns (like
ColdFusion)?

FINALLY, aside from the typical monster.com (which seems to not want
people like me :\), what would be a good way to go looking for an
entry-level position somewhere?

I know I asked a lot of questions, but I've got a thousand more. I've
tried to help where I can and everyone here has been so helpful to me
when I've needed it. Furthermore most of you are doing what I'd like to
be doing, so I figure this is the best place to start asking without
making myself feel completely stupid in the end.

Thanks if you've read this far, I can be long-winded sometimes :P.

Toby

--
Tobyn Baugher <trb at cartoonviolence.net>
http://www.cartoonviolence.net