[thelist] Internet Explorer SDKs

James Aylard webmaster at equilon-mrc.com
Thu Jul 26 12:16:31 CDT 2001

Richard,

> Have these SDKs every been added to a public archive anywhere?
> I am currently searching for Microsoft Internet SDK v4, more specifically
an
> application to convert .wmf graphics to Structured Graphic format.
> (apparently in SDK4)

    I sent the link for the IE 3 and IE 4 SDKs to aardvark yesterday
afternoon, and I'm sure he'll post them to the browser archive shortly.
    I think, though, that you won't find what you're looking for in those
SDKs. I am not aware that Microsoft has ever produced a WMF to SVG
converter, and think it unlikely since Microsoft has promoted VML (vector
markup language) instead of SVG (structured vector graphics language). Also,
native browser support for VML was implemented as an optional component to
IE 5, not IE 4.
    Microsoft does have a VML Generator available [1], but it does not
convert from other graphic formats as far as I can tell. Some Office 2000
apps seem to have some VML-generating capabilities, but I think these are
limited.
    SVG has gained broader support, in large part because it has the
near-official stamp of approval from the W3C, issued as a proposed
recommendation just last week [2] (a group of major software companies,
including Microsoft, Autodesk, HP, and Macromedia submitted VML to the W3C
[3], but it has never gone anywhere beyond submission status).
    For tools related to SVG, you can download a viewer plug-in from Adobe's
web site [4]. Also, Adobe Illustrator 9.x exports SVG.

James Aylard

1. http://msdn.microsoft.com/Downloads/samples/Internet/vml/vmlgenerator/
2. http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/
3. http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-VML