[thelist] Internet Explorer SDKs

Richard Bennett richard.bennett at skynet.be
Thu Jul 26 12:39:20 CDT 2001

Hi, thanks for that in depth reply.
I wasn't actually talking about SVG though, but SG - used by the Structured
Graphics ActiveX Control, since IE4.

I did actually find the converter I was looking for here:
http://mic2.lancs.ac.uk/sites/ftp.microsoft.com/developr/MSDN/inetsdk/INETSD
K.EXE/INETSDK/BIN/ALPHA/WMFCNV.EXE?extract=true

 but it didn't work, it reads the WMF file, and writes a text file, but
there's no content in the file.
The reason I'm using the SG activeX control, which is quite old technology,
is because I need to write graphics on the fly, which render in the browser
with a transparent background, over a standard html file. I tried both VML
and SVG, but they both seem to need a nontransparent canvas, so their
contents can't be overlaid over other html content. And, as this is for
intranet use the ie-only character of activeX was not a problem.

Lastly, in tests I did writing some 3000 polygons to the screen, and zooming
in and out, SVG was horribly slow compared to SG.

Richard.