[thelist] MS ACCESS and ColdFusion - How to COMPACT database remotely

jon steele jjsteele22 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 26 18:28:11 CDT 2001

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to perform the "compact database" utility on MS Access
files remotely? As in, without downloading the .mdb file and opening it
in Access 2000? I need this because databases are being dropped through
an admin section of a site, and I want to be able to compact them
through the browser. I don't want the Access file to stay "bloated".

This is because Access stores info about dropped tables. So if you have
a 100K file, and add a couple of tables and add info to those tables,
it may grow to 25000K. Dropping these tables won't reduce the file
size, it stays at 25000K. But downloading the database, and using the
"compact database" utility found under Tools->Database Utilities
reduces the file size back to 100K. I just want to be able to do this
on the net, without downloading the large files.

Any help is appreciated. Note that I need to do this from ColdFusion.

Thanks for your time,

Jon.