[thelist] Flash background question

john corry john at neoncowboy.com
Fri Jul 27 00:09:43 CDT 2001

"The background of a Flash movie can be set to display as transparent, in
some browser configurations. This allows the background color or image of
the HTML page that contains the Flash movie to show through. However, this
feature is only supported in Internet Explorer 4 or higher for Windows. The
movie's background will not be transparent for users of Netscape Navigator
for Windows and all Macintosh browsers."

...which basically means that transparent backgrounds in a Flash movie are
completely useless (unless you're developing for an intranet, where you know
that everyone is on IE 5/PC)

So...rethink your solution and decide whether it REALLY needs to be
transparent. What if the Flash bg lined up with the HTML bg, would that
work? It's definitely a pain in the ass...but the beer tastes really good
when you get it to work.

jc