[thelist] web audio question

Phil info at webdisplays.com
Fri Jul 27 08:02:42 CDT 2001

At 03:48 AM 7/27/2001 -0700, Colin Buttimer <c.buttimer at mdx.ac.uk> wrote:
>Subject: [thelist] web audio question
>
>Can anyone point me to a good resource for web-based sound? I'm doing a
>website for a friend's band and I'd like to provide a pop up window which
>would play their music while they look at a series of webpages - I don't
>have any possibility of streaming or anything serverside unfortunately. Many
>thanks in advance.
>
>All the best,
>
>Colin.

<tip>
An example of a popup player/javascript I made is at:

You can look at http://www.goguitars.com (handpickedguitars.com) this
implementation of Real Player opens in a Pop-Up if and when the referrer is
not the default index of the defined URL(s). This script allows player to
load and play independently of website navigation.

Anybody loads the default page at either domain (same page for now) the
script starts the popup. Returning to the homepage does not (annoyingly)
restart the popup, assuming javascript is available (so referer can be
detected) in the first place. (fail safe)

A single (text list) rpm file serves as the (link to) playlist, with a list
of .rm files. No special sorts of server-streaming kludgeware is required,
only that the server return the appropriate mime-type for the .rpm and .rm
files. This can de assured with a simple .htaccess definition (if your
srm.conf doesn't already have one) on any normal UX=IX/Apache server.

These are the appropriate ones:

AddType audio/x-pn-realaudio .rm
AddType audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin .rpm

Of course, you need a copy of RealProducer ($) to encode the real media
files.
</tip>
You could do a similar thing with plain javascript on the popup page to
generate a playlist of more generic (huge) .wav files, but then you have
windoze-mac problems. M$ .asf,  etc requires all kinds of crazy, expensive
server kludgeware$ and nuisance configuration bs, with similar mac
nonsense. The other universal media options are Quicktime, or using one
monster Flash presentation for the whole site..

Phil
webdisplays