[thelist] standards support, web typography

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 27 15:08:10 CDT 2001

>I am looking for a comprehensive and detailed listing of w3c standards
>support (mainly for HTML and CSS) in the various common browsers with
>their version and patch level:  4.nn...5.nn...

I wish you the best of luck <g>.

For HTML the most complete overview is the HTML compendium, though not
everything is annotated. http://www.htmlcompendium.org
For CSS1 the Masterlist remains the best.
http://www.webreview.com/style/css1/charts/mastergrid.shtml
I've made some notes on CSS2 compatibility.
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/css2tests/

No doubt many people will add their favourites to this list.

>If this doesn't make sense please let me know.

It makes perfect sense, but there are no sites that contain overall
compatibility charts because they are far too hard to maintain. Usually
people volunteer to do such things and their time is limited, while browser
behaviour is quite unlimited.

Besides, even if you have described CSS1 browser compatibility and two CSS
properties may work fine separately, when combined they might cause buggy
behaviour in a certain browser.

You'll have to find out by trial and error, like all of us. Probably the
links you'll get will give you introductions to some of the problems
besetting us.

Good luck,

ppk