[thelist] intranet design

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Fri Jul 27 16:07:32 CDT 2001

Warden, Matt wrote on 27/7/01 6:33 pm
>On Jul 27, Watkins Matthew had something to say about [thelist] intranet
>design
>
>>If anyone can suggest any really good (on or offline) resources regarding
>>designing intranets I would be much obliged.
>>I will be happy to swap notes.

>What aspect of the intranet are you designing? The look of the site? If
>so, it's the same as designing a Internet site, except you may or may not
>have a specific audience (IE5.5 on Windows2000 for instance).

Plus faster bandwidth.

A thought - many people design Internet, Intranet and Extranet
systems separately, despite them essentially being about the same
stuff. Why not have one system which presents different views
depending on your rights?

http://www.cluetrain.com/ is useful for Intranet stuff as
well as Internet.

The third point is that usability is as critical (if not more
so) for intranets as Internet sites, because poor usability
means that the users take longer to complete tasks, which
costs money.

Matthew, I have a CM for Intranet presentation on my
work laptop which I put together for a conference a month
or so ago - interested?

Cheers
Martin

email: martin at easyweb.co.uk             PGP ID: 0xA835CCCB
       martin at members.evolt.org      snailmail: 30 Shandon Place
  tel: +44 (0)774 063 9985                      Edinburgh,
  url: http://www.easyweb.co.uk                 Scotland