[thelist] intranet design

Tobyn Baugher trb at cartoonviolence.net
Mon Jul 30 07:06:58 CDT 2001

On 7/30/2001 11:28 AM +0200 Watkins Matthew <matthew at Natuzzi.com> wrote:

> Agreed, I have always wondered about this. I think in the end it is
> really only a semantic difference if at all. For example if you have
> very different target groups and need to communicate in a different
> way to each of them.

Well, I'd say another reason is security. I'd rather separate the
private information my employees see and the public information I give
out by using completely different systems rather than some half-baked
rights validation I cooked up.

Additionally, you don't want a colocated/hosted intranet (burdening
your office's net access) if you can have one in-house and you don't
want an in-house website (once again, burdening your office's pipes) if
your company doesn't have the resources to support it. By separating
the systems you can go with the best option for both.

Forgive me if I am regurgitating something said earlier or if I'm
slightly OT. I lost most of this thread in email oblivion.

Regards,
Toby

--
Tobyn Baugher <trb at cartoonviolence.net>