[thelist] Sending email using ASP and CDONTS

Scott Dexter sgd at ti3.com
Mon Jul 30 12:07:49 CDT 2001

> Quick question.  Is it possible, without 3rd party components,
> to send an email using ASP and CDONTS without having SMTP istalled
> on a win2k box?  I've got a security admin refusing the installation
> because "we already have a dedicated SMTP server".  My recolection

Buying a 3rd party component (I recommend Mabry (http://www.mabry.com/
)) will let you connect to the dedicated SMTP server from your web box
directly, bypassing the need for installing the SMTP server locally.
CDONTS relies on a local SMTP server (specifically, the IIS SMTP Server
and its Pickup directory). You could (if your security admin will let
you) install the IIS SMTP server and point it to your dedicated one as a
'smart host' and then tighten down on relaying. That way, all mail will
continue to go out the dedicated SMTP server, but you're adding one hop
in front of it.

Hope that helps some...

sgd
--