[thelist] attachments

Warden, Matt mwarden at mattwarden.com
Mon Jul 30 13:28:08 CDT 2001

On Jul 30, Jeanne Edna Thelwell had something to say about [thelist] attachments

>I would have sent this direct to the list owner, but I don't have
>that addy handy.
>
>I just got a message with the following header and body; note that it
>was sent to the *list* not to me personally.  It's obviously the
>SirCam virus at work, but what concerns me is that this came *with*
>the attachment (in this case, grainger custom.doc.bat.  I was pretty
>sure the list removed attachments -- in fact, I was assured of that
>just last week when we were discussing this virus.
>
>Any idea how this got through?

Doh!

Um, this is my fault. This message actually got held by thelist's
filters. However, I decided I'd try to be cool and go in and do some
general list admin (subbing new users, in this case) using lynx. In IE,
when there's no checked attribute in the HTML for a radio button group, it
doesn't show any of them checked. However, little did I know, that when
lynx encounters a radio group with none of them checked, it checks the
first one. The rest is difficult to explain without you being able to see
the admin section, but the first radio button on one of the groups is to
approve held messages. I was just subbing users and not even worrying
about held messages right now, but since the default (Approve) was checked
in Lynx, when I clicked the submit button, BAM! it got sent to thelist.

Sorry guys. This is 100% my fault. But you can be assured that the
filtering software is working properly and this will be an isolated
occurrance.

<tip type="browser differences">

It's a good idea to know how different browsers handle different
situations. Certain areas that aren't covered by specs and are left up to
the browser authors are most likely going to vary when it comes to how
they are handled.

For example, when IE encounters an empty table cell (<td></td>) it will
still allocate space for it and, if there is a border, it won't show the
border around that cell.

</tip>

--
mattwarden