[thelist] Looking for a poll

Ben Dyer ben_dyer at imaginuity.com
Tue Jul 31 17:15:57 CDT 2001

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the IP address isn't universal.  As soon as an
ISP customer logs off and logs back on, they have a new IP address.  I know
on my DSL at home, the IP address I connect to is different each time.

Someone earlier mentioned e-mail addresses or accounts: those are the most
effective at stopping most problems.  It's still "fudgable" (wasn't that a
cookie?) but the tedium level for doing so is great enough that most who
would otherwise try to screw with the poll won't.

We had this problem before with one of our client's polls.  When the user
account system was set up, the polls tied in with it and we never had
ballot stuffing problems again (certainly nothing noticable).

--Ben

At 05:10 PM 7/31/2001, you wrote:
>How about recording the IP address of the user in an array or DB and only
>allow one vote per IP address?  The only problem I can see is that users who
>access the web page through the same firewall may all appear to have the
>same IP address.  It depends who your target is I guess.

Ben Dyer
Senior Internet Developer
Imaginuity Interactive
http://www.imaginuity.com