[thelist] CSS2 and Netscape 4.7 problem

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 1 03:01:29 CDT 2001

> > This is a known Netscape 4 bug. However, the W3C validator is also known
> > be buggy. It would be very silly if one is *required* to declare a
> > background, even if you don't want one.
> >
> > Solution: ignore validator, remove transparent backgrounds.
>
>Thanks, ppk and rudy for your input.
>
>PPK, shortly after I emailed my query, I decided to strip out the nefarious
>background-color: transparent from the remote.css file just to be able to
>re-upload the revised site. . .and hoping there was a solution. Have now
>learned another Netscape quirkiness. And that's the first time I received a
>message from W3C about this particular "problem". But, then, I'm venturing
>further out in the pond of CSS2 and never got so detailed (and lengthy)
>before, glub, glub.

I took a quick peek at the spec and although it describes 'transparent' as a
valid value of 'background-color' it says nothing about it being required.
In fact, 'transparent' is the default setting, so why would you have to set
it explicitly?

I still think it's an error in the validator. But then, I'm not noted for my
great knowledge of validating anything <g>.

ppk