[thelist] Active X and ASP

Cancilla Dominick cancilla.d at buckconsultants.com
Wed Aug 1 13:50:51 CDT 2001

	>> That's silly! It's like asking people to provide food without
letting them know what kind of land they'll be able to use! But hey, it's
government.. what else should we expect... While Perl is a safe bet, you
don't have any guarantee that it will be available to you.  While it's more
common than anything else, it's still not a given. The only think you can
count on is to go client-side, but then not all clients can run javascript.
Either way, you're in trouble without the server information. Do you *have*
to specify which language?  Or can you get away with "using a language
appropriate for the server". <<

	Fortunately I don't have to specify the language. All I need to do
is make sure that my bid is large enough to encompass all reasonable
possibilities. For example, I don't want to bid low and assume that our
in-house guy (the one who says ASP will work on all systems) will do the
work, and then find out that the client is using a system without ASP so I
am stuck hiring an outside contractor.
DISCLAIMER:   The information contained in this e-mail may be confidential
and is intended solely for the use of the named addressee.  Access, copying
or re-use of the e-mail or any information contained therein by any other
person is not authorized.  If you are not the intended recipient please
notify us immediately by returning the e-mail to the originator.