[thelist] Webhosting in Australia (Unix/NT advantages/disadvantages)?

Tony Page zamba at zamba.com
Wed Aug 1 21:36:06 CDT 2001

Thanks, Karen, although purely NT servers on offer, sounds like a good deal.
Unfortunately I note that to change permissions on files etc you have to
email the sysops with the information. This is one of the reasons I prefer
unix because I can do this directly myself. I've frequently found that some
cgi programs don't necessarily work the way they're meant to in theory, and
need a little fiddling. Is this lack of ability to change permissions
directly in a hosting situation always a part of using an NT server? Does
anyone else have the same problems, or am I missing something?
I'd be interested in opinions on the advantages/disadvantages of using
NT/Unix when you are being virtually hosted. Anyone?

Tony

      [ZambaGrafix]
   <websites that work>
tel: +61 2 9953 4425